There are many benefits of using social media. Social media
can be defined as “websites and applications that enable users to create and
share content or to participate in social networking”
Here are some questions you should answer before you start:
- Why do you want to use social media
- What do you want to achieve from it
- Who are you targeting
Waka Ama New Zealand Social Media Sites:
Your website should be constantly updated. This is a great place to share success stories,
donation news, the volunteer of the month, and more.
Creating your own site doesn’t require the work of an
expensive web designer. You can have one up and running using a number of
different content management systems such as Wordpress, Squarespace, or Google
Web design ideas - http://www.nptechforgood.com/2011/10/31/11-website-design-best-practices-for-nonprofits/
At Waka Ama New Zealand we utilise Facebook a lot, it allows
us to engage with our followers by posting images and photos, posting links from
our website and sending updates from events all over the world.
See this case study from Sport New Zealand for more
information: Waka AmaNZ as a case study for Strong Organisations (Communication and Marketing)
There are a number of benefits of a Facebook Page (not group
or individual person), such as:
- Easy to access from anywhere, with multiple people
running the page
- Easily link Waka Ama Facebook and Website updates
- Your updates pop into your followers timelines the second
- Easy to update from races and events
- Photos and videos are easy to upload and are awesome for
paddlers and their friends and whānau to tag and download the photos
- Most paddlers have a Facebook page and can use it very easily
- The Facebook page can be moderated
- Allows paddlers to directly interact – commenting, sharing
photos and web links
- Large paddling community on Facebook
- Facebook is free and always will be
- Can link to other social media sites such as YouTube,
Instagram, and Twitter, etc.
here to set-up a Facebook Page – please note you will need to sign in with your personal Facebook.
Capture and share the world's moments! Instagram is a free photo and video sharing app Profiles can upload photos or videos to our service and share them with their followers
Instagram is a marketing powerhouse that works for brands, companies, and nonprofits. Instagram is a social media platform that specializes in letting users share photos and videos and has become the favorite way to share among teens and young adults, beating out Facebook and Twitter. What makes Instagram different from social media networks such as Facebook or Twitter is the way people use it. Instagrammers frequently check the site, often several times a day, and engage with posts at a much higher rate than with other social networks.
Waka Ama NZ is relatively new to Instagram but we see it as a great tool to interact and communicate with our rangatahi paddlers
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called "tweets"
Here is a quick overview of Twitter, how to use it and the Story of a Tweet
There are many, many benefits and reasons why Waka Ama Clubs
should be using Twitter. Here are ten of them:
- Spread news and updates in real-time
- Promote sponsors
- Reach new paddlers that may have never visited your website
or Facebook Page
- Increased traffic back to your website or Facebook page
- Spectator engagement at events
- Excellent and extremely inexpensive marketing
- Can be managed by anyone with a log in
- Live tweets @ regattas – keep friends, family and paddlers
all over the world in the loop
- Find members and use HASHTAGS #wakaama
- Retweet members tweets
YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos
YouTube is an awesome site for Waka Ama Clubs to utilise.
Waka Ama is a very visual sport (and is often hard to explain to non-paddlers)
so creating mini clips at events, trainings, and fundraising days etc is a great way to
promote your club. YouTube videos can be shared on all social media sites and
often photos and videos get more interaction than text posts.
Waka Ama New Zealand YouTube Page
Some helpful tips and tricks
There are so many different platforms for Social Media. Once
you have evaluated your Clubs objectives, then you can align yourself with the
best forms that suit
Make sure your social networking pages always feature lots
of opportunities to get involved.
- People share videos 12 times more than links and text posts
- People "like" photos two times more than text
- Photos and videos drive the most engagement on Facebook's
top 10 brand pages.
- Users share 700 YouTube videos on Twitter each minute.
- 100 million users take a social action on videos every week.
Top 15 Social Media Sites - http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networking-websites
Recruiting Volunteers through social media - http://socialmediaweek.org/rotterdam/events/recruit-members-volunteers-for-your-sports-club-through-social/
Social media guidelines - http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk/sites/sportandrecreation.org.uk/files/Social%20Media%20Guidelines.pdf
Tips to starting networking (for Non-Profit organisations) - http://nonprofit.about.com/od/socialmedia/tp/Tipsstartsocialnetworking.htm
Jul 25, 2017
106,317 paddlers have looked at this page