Taipa Point/ Taipa River
Fri 23rd Feb - Sun 25th Feb 2024
Sprints and Distance
Approved Event Host (Not a Waka Ama Club or Region)
The mission of the TOA Junior Championship weekend is to inspire Tamariki and Taiohi to not only race but to celebrate their uniqueness and break down some of the barriers of competitive racing.
Special thank you to local hapū, funders and clubs for their support. As a result we have 4 x return trips to Aito Tahiti up for grabs in the J16 and J19 divisions.
All weekend we will have Youth Enterprise and Inno-native stalls, Rongoa and Toi Māori workshops, Waka Taua, Waka Hourua history boards (bring along your clubs history in waka ama).
The weekend of racing and whanaungatanga will begin with a powhiri Friday evening at Herewaka, Taipa Point Rd (The original landing place of Kupe).
Saturday am includes:
• Sprint racing W6 and W1. (Ocean Sprints offer an awesome opportunity to practise for crews heading to Hilo in August)
• 500m straight and 1000m turn W6
• 500m straight W1
• 6 & 10km distance W1 and W6 racing for juniors
• 1km – 6km for taitamariki and Intermediate paddlers
• Concluding with a Cultural night in Te Kāpehu Whetu (The Star Compass) at the beachfront marae of Sir Hekenukumai Puhipi 5 minutes from the race venue in Aurere.
Sunday am is Fun racing:
• Ko Wai Koe: all competitors must dress as something they are proud of about their identity (culture, gender, goal, occupation, belief) EVERYONE is welcome!
• Waka of Origin: bring along anyone who you share whakapapa with for this W12 race
• Fruit Salad: All participants names are drawn at random to make W12 teams
• Concluding with Hākari/celebration @12pm
2,144 paddlers have looked at this page