All Stories
Story Thumb

2022 Waka Ama Sprint Nationals - Decision Making timeline

We are very much underway with organising Sprint Nationals and we know that many of you have questions about the event and whether it will be able to go ahead or not. Whilst we remain optimistic about the event we are aware of the unpredictable nature of the current COVID environment. Waka Ama NZ would like to provide a timeline whereby decisions will be made regarding the 2022 Sprint Nationals.

Up until the 11th of December, all or most of our Regions will have been able to hold their Regional events under Level 2 restrictions.  

If, on Monday 13th December any part of Aotearoa is at Alert level Red, Level 2 or above the 2022 Waka Ama Sprint Nationals will be cancelled. 

 

On 13th December we will provide our membership with an update.  Should the decision be to move forward with the event we will be monitoring the status of the event weekly from the 13th December onwards. 

 

Between now and the 13th December we are happy to answer any questions that you may have and should the COVID situation change in any way we will inform you of any changes in our decision-making process. 

 

We would advise our clubs and paddlers to make contact with their accommodation bookings and communicate with them these decision making timelines. 

 

What does this mean for World Sprints qualification?

Should Waka Ama Sprint Nationals not go ahead, we will schedule a qualifying event at a time at a later date where Karāpiro is available. This qualifying event will only be required for grades where World Intents exceed the quota number. 

 

Should you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask by emailing admin@wakaama.co.nz

 

Updated: Oct 29, 2021

2,430 paddlers have looked at this page